Viewing post #1235776 by MaryE

You are viewing a single post made by MaryE in the thread called Down on the Farm, 2017.
Feb 8, 2017 9:49 PM CST
Name: Mary
The dry side of Oregon
Be yourself, you can be no one else
Meltdown! It started about 4 days ago and now we can see some dirt in the driveway and a couple of bare patches on our west hill. The wind keeps it pretty clean so between that and the rain and the sun, those usually early bare spots have appeared. Patch is still confined to his small pasture by snow piles and drifts, but his trail between the shed and the feed/water is becoming easier to travel. A week ago he was sinking in almost to his chest, now it is just to his knees. Rain has been light, interspersed with sleet and snow. We've also had a lot of wind and some sun. The ground under the snow was not frozen except where we drive, so as it melts the water has been soaking into the ground. Our basement had a few trickles in it yesterday that didn't even travel across the floor to reach the sump. We hope this slow melting continues. The stock/irrigation pond might fill early this year just from the melting before there is even water in the irrigation ditch. We need the moisture in the soil, not running down into the river.

About a week ago I thought I had something in my eye, and of course I rubbed it trying to get it comfortable. It was weepy and didn't feel any better. I should have tried to wash it out. We have one of those old fashioned glass eye wash cups and I could have used it. Might have helped a bit with the discomfort. The next day I woke up with a weepy eye and when I looked in the mirror, oh my goodness, it was red. I suspected pinkeye, looked up the symptoms and decided that was most likely the problem. It was my co-op day so I went and worked, wearing glasses the whole time so that I would not be tempted to rub my eye. The distractions of work helped me keep my mind off my uncomfortable eye. After my work was finished I went to the walk in clinic where the PA on duty diagnosed it as bacterial conjunctivitis, pinkeye, and prescribed eyedrops to be administered every 4 hours for 10 days. It took about 3 more days for the discomfort to ease. Tomorrow is day 10.

We observed our 57th anniversary on Sunday. Before church we went out for breakfast, got our coffee and tea, placed our order, and a few minutes later the lights flickered and went out. The fans in the kitchen stopped but the grill is gas so they were able to finish cooking until the kitchen got too hot even with the window open on a just above freezing morning. Soon there was no hot coffee, no way to make more, no microwave, no cash register, and no lights in the rest rooms. They began turning away customers. Some of the customers already there checked their social media pages via their smart phones and in just a few minutes we knew what had happened. A building in the historic district of downtown had collapsed under the weight of snow. Of course buildings have wires and wires are connected to other wires, and the power company quickly turned the power off. The hotel next door was evacuated as a precaution, streets were blocked off and a building inspector was called in to determine if the rest of the building would be likely to fall, and if adjoining buildings were safe. We drove over that way but found that the best views of the collapsed building were on facebook, taken by people who were probably walking on the opposite side of the street. The collapsed building was only being used for storage and nobody was hurt.

Another thing that fell since this warmup began was a tree in Ryan's yard. It fell across the county road in a windstorm. The tree was an old willow or cottonwood and had rotten roots. The whole thing just tipped over. There wasn't a big root wad like you'd expect from a tree that size. They had just rotted. Ryan said he heard it and thought the big thud was snow sliding off the roof. Some neighbors pitched in with chain saws and a big tractor and cleared the mess off the road so that people could get to work or school and feed their cattle. It's over a hill from us so we didn't know anything about it until later in the day when we went to get our mail.

Yesterday was co-op produce delivery day again. I salvaged quite a few oranges and lemons and today I cut up about half of them to start a batch of marmalade. The process is to cook it for an hour or so until the rinds are tender, then measure it and add pectin and sugar which I will do tomorrow. When this batch is done I will start another one.

The black cat has stayed around for the past couple of months and now is tame enough to eat out of the bowl while I hold it. He still won't eat out of my hand and I have not attempted to pet him. I think with the warmer weather there may be love or at least biology in the air, and he has been missing for the past 2 days. I'm sure he will be back, the only question is when.
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.
More ramblings at

« Return to the thread "Down on the Farm, 2017"
« Return to Groupings, Personal Space, Garden Art, and Color forum
« Return to the Sharon's Friends cubit homepage

Sharon's Friends

A place where friends of Sharon Webb Brown can gather to chat and share memories.

» Home
» Forums

Cubit owners: