|Recipe Title: Tom Yum Soup (Thai Soup)|
Contributed by: phicks
Additional Credits for Recipe
|"I couldn't believe how easy this recipe was and it gave instructions on how to prepare lemongrass. I definitely will make it again. My boyfriend loves this soup and orders it when we go out to Thai restaurants. I was a little nervous that he wouldn't like a homemade version but he totally loved this recipe!!!"|
Note from the Diva
|made this the other day got it off of online Aside from being one of the most popular soup in Thailand, Tom Yum Soup has many health benefits, due its potent combination of herbs and spices. In fact, this Thai soup is currently under scientific study, as it appears to have immune-boosting power as a natural remedy for cold and flu viruses. In my version of the soup, I've included coconut milk (officially "Tom Khaa") which I find adds both richness and flavor while still keeping the soup super healthy. ENJOY!|
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
List of Ingredients
* 3-4 cups chicken stock (this makes enough soup to serve 2 people - double the recipe for 4 or more)
* 1 stalk lemongrass, lower 1/3 minced
* 3 kaffir lime leaves (available fresh or frozen at Asian food stores)
* 12-14 medium or large raw shrimp, shelled
* 2 Tbsp. fish sauce
* 1-2 small red chilies, minced OR 1/2 tsp. dried crushed chili (to taste)
* 3 cloves garlic, minced
* optional: a handful of cherry tomatoes
* generous handful fresh shiitake mushrooms, sliced thinly
* 1 green and/or red bell pepper, sliced
* 1/2 can coconut milk (or more to taste)
* 1/3 cup fresh coriander, roughly chopped
* optional: additional red chilies, OR Nam Prik Pao Chili Sauce (1-2 tsp.)
* optional: 1 tsp. brown sugar, and a sqeeze of lime juice
* For a vegetarian version, see my Easy Vegetarian Tom Yum Soup Recipe
* For a more traditional/authentic Tom Yum Soup (without coconut milk), see: Traditional Tom Yum Soup
* If you prefer chicken over seafood, substitute chicken breast for shrimp (cut the chicken into bite-size pieces).
* Rice noodles can also be added for a delicious noodle-soup version of Tom Yum.
1. For instructions on how to buy, prepare, and cook with lemongrass, see: All About Lemongrass (Google it)
2. Pour stock into a deep cooking pot and turn heat to medium-high.
3. Add processed lemongrass to the pot, including the parts of the lemongrass stalk you didn't slice. Boil for 5 minutes, or until fragrant.
4. Add garlic, chili, lime leaves, and mushrooms to broth. Continue cooking for another 5 minutes.
5. Add shrimp, bell pepper, and cherry tomatoes (if using). Cook 5-6 minutes, or until shrimp is pink and plump.
6. Turn down the heat to low and add 1/2 can coconut milk plus fish sauce. Test-test the soup for spice and salt, adding more chili and/or fish sauce (instead of salt) as desired. If too sour for your taste, add 1 tsp. brown sugar; if too salty, add a squeeze of lime juice. Add more coconut milk if you want your soup richer/creamier, or if it's too spicy for your taste.
7. Serve in bowls with fresh coriander sprinkled over. Enjoy!!
Number of Servings: 2
General Cooking/Prep Method
Recipe Type - Categories
Extra Features of Recipe
Difficulty Level-Quick & Easy
Quick Recipe (30 min. or less)
Tested & Approved Recipe