|Recipe Title: Chilis Chicken Enchilada Soup|
Contributed by: TwinLakesChef
Note from the Diva
|This one came from the Orange County Register|
Cook's notes: Masa is traditional dough used to make corn tortillas.
Masa harina is flour made from dried masa. It is sold in supermarkets,
usually stocked next to the flour in the baking section.
We like to garnish with Sour Cream,, Shreded Jack Cheese and crunch a few tortilla chips into the bottom of the bowl when serving.
List of Ingredients
|1/4 cup vegetable oil |
1/8 cup chicken base (chicken bouillon granules)
1 1/2 cups yellow onions, diced
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon granulated garlic
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 cup masa harina; see cook's notes
2 quarts water, divided use
1 cup crushed canned tomatoes
1/4 pound processed American cheese, cut in small cubes
1 1/2 pounds cooked, cubed chicken
|1. Place oil, chicken base, onion and spices in large pot. |
2. SautÃ© until onions are soft and clear, about 5 minutes.
3. In another container, combine masa harina with 1/2 quart water; stir
4. Add masa harina mixture to sautÃ©ed onions and bring to boil.
5. Once mixture starts to bubble, continue cooking 2-3 minutes,
6. Add remaining 1 1/2 quarts water to pot.
7. Add tomatoes, then let mixture return to boil, stirring occasionally.
8. Add cheese, stirring occasionally until cheese melts, then add
chicken and heat through.
Number of Servings: 8-10 servings
General Cooking/Prep Method
Recipe Type - Categories
Extra Features of Recipe