Let's introduce ourselves forum: Hello from Geneva in Southern California

Views: 31, Replies: 10 » Jump to the end
ImageGeneva
Jul 29, 2013 11:49 AM CST
Name: Geneva Coats
Southen California
Hi, I am new to iris growing, well I did buy some and plant them a few years ago but they all died, I think putting them between the fence and some shrubs maybe they didn't get enough sun? Crying Dunno but I figured I'd try again. My mom always used to have iris around when I was growing up but she lives in the desert where it is 120 degrees in the summer so she can't grow them now.
I also grow tropical hibiscus, plumeria, epiphyllums, echinopsis and a range of cacti and succulents. I had roses years ago but found them to be an enormous ongoing thorny chore to maintain so most of the roses are outta here now.
I'm preparing a couple of beds that are in full sun most of the day with a bit of afternoon shade in some sections and I received a notice that my order from Schreiner's is on the way so now I am nervous! Whistling
I would like to see what I can do with those that rebloom and I thought I'd try a section on the far side in full sun all day for some aril hybrids, which I finally found at Superstition Gardens here in CA, I'll have to get my order in for the Arilbreds soon.
I also joined the American Iris Society and am looking forward to receiving whatever journal they produce. Hope to get to know you all better in the days ahead. Group hug
[Last edited Jul 29, 2013 11:50 AM CST]
Quote | Post #993497 (1)
Imagecrowrita1
Jul 29, 2013 12:37 PM CST
Name: Arlyn
Whiteside Co, Illinois Zone 5A
Welcome to our addiction ! Glad to have you, Geneva ! How many did you order ? I hope you have room for expansion, as we are great "enablers" ,here !....Arlyn I tip my hat to you.
ImageMuddymitts
Jul 29, 2013 8:21 PM CST
Name: Mary Ann
Kentucky
Hi Geneva! Welcome to our little corner of the world. I'm glad that you're giving Irises a *second chance* -- if you make them happy, they'll reward you generously.

I envy you that you can grow tropical hibiscus. I have to grow mine in pots -- and bring them in in the winter. For this reason, I only have two -- but they're beautiful! Can we see some pictures please? Smiling
Every day is a second chance. Every day is precious time.
Imagebrettttt
Jul 30, 2013 9:23 AM CST
Name: Brett Barney
SE Nebraska
Hi Geneva,

Welcome and good luck!

You sound like a pretty well-informed gardener, so I doubt it needs saying, but just in case: Be sure not to plant them too deeply. I somewhat hesitantly admit that when I first started trying to grow irises I was one of those people who thought rhizome = bulb and used some kind of math that I forget now but that had me planting them 2 or so inches deep. Many died, and the few that survived didn't bloom for several years (in which they slowly clawed their way to the surface).
ImageGeneva
Aug 1, 2013 12:17 AM CST
Name: Geneva Coats
Southen California
crowrita1 wrote:Welcome to our addiction ! Glad to have you, Geneva ! How many did you order ? I hope you have room for expansion, as we are great "enablers" ,here !....Arlyn I tip my hat to you.


Thanks, I ordered about two dozen different varieties plus they included some freebies. I am preparing another bed on the side of the driveway that is about 25 X 6 and hopefully will be able to add more in there when it is ready. I wish I had gotten an earlier start but I think since we have warm winters I can plant through the fall and be OK.....at least I hope so.

ImageGeneva
Aug 1, 2013 12:19 AM CST
Name: Geneva Coats
Southen California
Muddymitts wrote:Hi Geneva! Welcome to our little corner of the world. I'm glad that you're giving Irises a *second chance* -- if you make them happy, they'll reward you generously.

I envy you that you can grow tropical hibiscus. I have to grow mine in pots -- and bring them in in the winter. For this reason, I only have two -- but they're beautiful! Can we see some pictures please? Smiling


Hi Mary Ann, where I live it dips down to freezing at night in the winter and last winter we had about three solid months of freezing nights, I ended up hauling all the hibiscus in the house (they are in pots on the patio). And I sure hope I don't have to do that again!! Yes I'll post some pictures as soon as I get used to how the forum here operates. Sticking tongue out
ImageGeneva
Aug 1, 2013 12:22 AM CST
Name: Geneva Coats
Southen California
brettttt wrote:Hi Geneva,

Welcome and good luck!

You sound like a pretty well-informed gardener, so I doubt it needs saying, but just in case: Be sure not to plant them too deeply. I somewhat hesitantly admit that when I first started trying to grow irises I was one of those people who thought rhizome = bulb and used some kind of math that I forget now but that had me planting them 2 or so inches deep. Many died, and the few that survived didn't bloom for several years (in which they slowly clawed their way to the surface).


Hi Brettttt, that may very well have been my problem way back when, I don't really remember now but I think they may have been planted a couple inches deep plus behind some shrubs so didn't receive any sun. Thank you for the warm welcome!!

Smiling
ImageMuddymitts
Aug 1, 2013 6:20 AM CST
Name: Mary Ann
Kentucky
Yup -- Irises like sunshine! And the rhizome is actually a leaf (or so I've read) -- so if you plant them too deep and in the shade, you're really minimizing the likelihood of survival. Plant them so that the top of the rhizome is above ground where the sun can shine on it, and you'll have happy Irises. Big Grin
Every day is a second chance. Every day is precious time.
ImagePollyK
Aug 2, 2013 6:23 PM CST
Name: Polly Kinsman
Hannibal, NY

Hello Geneva, welcome, welcome to our little corner of the world. Glad to have you!
ImageMShadow
Aug 4, 2013 10:20 AM CST
Name: Marilyn Campbell
Houghton Lake, MI
Welcome Geneva! Everyone here is really helpful if you have any questions.
ImageOrchid40
Sep 15, 2013 5:02 AM CST
Name: Val Harding
Melbourne, Australia
Hi Geneva, welcome from me too!
Val

« Back to the top
« Cubits.org homepage
« Irises cubit homepage
« Let's introduce ourselves forum

Only subscribed members of this cubit may reply to this thread. There is a "Join this cubit" button at the bottom of this page.

Irises

The place to talk about everything iris! Iris sales, trades, and growing info. Iris chat and lots of gorgeous pics!

» Home
» Forums
» Articles
» Pages
» Database
» Links

Cubit owner: irisloverdee

Admin team:

» Contact the admins

A little advertising :)

Dee's website Click here for Snowpeak Iris!