Article: Aunt Bett, Granny Ninna and Pickin' Blackberries: About That Time

 
Page 2 of 6 • 1 2 3 4 5 6

Views: 16, Replies: 102 » Jump to the end
Image Aunt Bett, Granny Ninna and Pickin' Blackberries
By Sharon Brown on February 13, 2011

Grab your long pants, your long sleeved shirt, your old sunbonnet and your biggest old lard can. We're going blackberry pickin'!

» Read the article

ImageCajuninKy
Jun 4, 2014 8:28 PM CST
Name: Cheryl
Eastern Ky
Truth should be everpresent.
Glad you had a dry day. What are you potting up?
Please join me at my Websites:
At Home Away from Home ~ Cajun's Corner

ImageSharon
Jun 4, 2014 8:35 PM CST
Name: Sharon
Kentucky
I had a box of plants from a friend in South Carolina, Elephant Ears, Datura, Moonflower vine, rain lilies a clematis and a few others that I've never had before. Pineapple lilies was one of them. Oh and she sent 4 o'clocks. All were good sized and looked great. This week I'm getting some Gloriosa lilies from a friend in northern Illinois so more planting. I got the first set finally finished this afternoon, there were 16 plants total. Whew!

Now we are under a tornado watch till 3 a.m. This is going to be a log night, thunder is already rolling!! But earlier, it was a pretty day.

Hope for you too.
ImageCajuninKy
Jun 8, 2014 4:01 PM CST
Name: Cheryl
Eastern Ky
Truth should be everpresent.
How did your weather turn out?

We had a really hot sunny day yesterday and we went to get a load of hay. We brought 150 bales home. I stacked it on the trailer while a friend loaded it. I was worn out but it sure feels good to have it.
Please join me at my Websites:
At Home Away from Home ~ Cajun's Corner

ImageSharon
Jun 9, 2014 12:39 AM CST
Name: Sharon
Kentucky
Weather was no problem, just distant thunder which my dog hates!! Aside from that, no problem. And today was so much cooler. Storms again tomorrow, though.

Good grief, 150 bales of hay. I would not be able to move by now. But good for you. What will it feed, or what will you do with it? I can't remember how many animals you still have. The horses?? Of course, but anything else?

Get lots of rest, you deserve it.
ImageCajuninKy
Jun 17, 2014 10:23 PM CST
Name: Cheryl
Eastern Ky
Truth should be everpresent.
We have four horses that will eat it all. We were down to three horses but we bought a horse for our second grandson. It was a surprise for him and he was thrilled.
Please join me at my Websites:
At Home Away from Home ~ Cajun's Corner

ImageSharon
Jun 17, 2014 10:45 PM CST
Name: Sharon
Kentucky
I'll bet he was excited. And I know how you love horses.

Warning....it was 95 here today with 65% humidity. . . i think it's headed your way. I had to water the potted things on my deck about an hour ago, they were dry as could be and nearly wilted. Tomorrow morning I'll try to get the things in front but they are mostly in shade so I'm not as worried about them.

Stay cool and dodge the thunderstorms.
ImageCajuninKy
Jun 24, 2014 8:08 AM CST
Name: Cheryl
Eastern Ky
Truth should be everpresent.
We got a really good rain yesterday and it was a surprise as they were only predicting a 30% chance of rain. Today is 70% so we shall see. We don't really need it after yesterday's rain but it won't hurt us. It will keep me from having to water the garden for a few more days. Your temps and humidity remind me of home. LOL

Speaking of home, we are enjoying the company of our DDIL and our granddaughter for an extra week. We are so happy. She was supposed to go back home yesterday but our son was leaving today for a job in Nebraska so she decided to stay with us another week. Then we have more company coming this weekend from home. DH's mom, brother and sister and they are bringing Knock up to spend the rest of the summer with us. Our summer is full and happy. We thank God for His blessings.
Please join me at my Websites:
At Home Away from Home ~ Cajun's Corner

ImageSharon
Jun 24, 2014 11:56 AM CST
Name: Sharon
Kentucky
Best news ever!!!!

I am so happy just seeing this post. I know how much you have missed having family close by.
Enjoy every single minute with all of them.

Hot and dry here, though an occasional 15 minute harsh thunderstorm occasionally. Daylilies are parading all around my back yard. It's a pretty time.

Take pictures of your happy times and later maybe share some of them with me! Group hug
ImageCajuninKy
Jul 4, 2014 12:05 PM CST
Name: Cheryl
Eastern Ky
Truth should be everpresent.
DDIL and sissy girl went home. Sure do miss them. But we are enjoying our other family from home. DH's brother, mother, sister and brother law came up last week to bring Knock for the summer. His sister had to leave early to get back for work so she rode home with DIL. That way we did not have to worry about them going home alone. The rest of the family will be leaving in the morning and we will miss them but we have enjoyed a great week. BIL put put us in a new sink and kitchen cabinets with a new counter top. We needed it so bad. We have done a bit of sight seeing and today we are grilling out. A real treat for us to have a family cookout.
Please join me at my Websites:
At Home Away from Home ~ Cajun's Corner

ImageSharon
Jul 4, 2014 2:05 PM CST
Name: Sharon
Kentucky
I'm so happy you are having such a great time with your family and that BIL of yours is the best! How good it is to have a kitchen makeover! That's wonderful.

Enjoy your cook out and have a beautiful holiday!
ImageCajuninKy
Jul 5, 2014 7:46 AM CST
Name: Cheryl
Eastern Ky
Truth should be everpresent.
He really is a good guy and we appreciate so much what he did for us. I took him sight seeing. He had never been here before so we went to the Breaks Park. He really enjoyed it and a bonus is that all the berries are ripe now. We picked wine berries, black berries and blue berries. Mmm
Please join me at my Websites:
At Home Away from Home ~ Cajun's Corner

ImageSharon
Jul 5, 2014 11:26 PM CST
Name: Sharon
Kentucky
I've been thinking it's about time for the berries! Wish I were there so I could enjoy them too.
ImageCajuninKy
Jul 11, 2014 2:28 PM CST
Name: Cheryl
Eastern Ky
Truth should be everpresent.
I know you must miss the mountains. I was not raised here but I would really miss it if we moved. There is a whole lot I may as about the bayou.
Please join me at my Websites:
At Home Away from Home ~ Cajun's Corner

ImageSharon
Jul 11, 2014 2:59 PM CST
Name: Sharon
Kentucky
I do miss the mountains and every time I go back it gets harder and harder to leave them.
ImageCajuninKy
Jul 12, 2014 3:07 PM CST
Name: Cheryl
Eastern Ky
Truth should be everpresent.
Do you think you might ever move back? It is getting harder and harder to make it here financially with the present administrations view of the coal industry.
Please join me at my Websites:
At Home Away from Home ~ Cajun's Corner

ImageSharon
Jul 12, 2014 3:21 PM CST
Name: Sharon
Kentucky
I have land there with my brother and I've thought about it, but those who were close to me growing up have passed or moved away. There would be no real friendships there now and friends are so important. There is my brother and his family and one friend that I've known forever, but it would be like moving into alien territory and my children grew up here, so I guess I might as well stay here. We can't ever go back to the same thing we left, you know. Fifty years makes a great big difference.
ImageCajuninKy
Jul 16, 2014 6:04 PM CST
Name: Cheryl
Eastern Ky
Truth should be everpresent.
I know what you mean. At least you have built a long stable life where you are. We cannot back to the home we moved away from and we have not been able to build a home or life anywhere else really.
Please join me at my Websites:
At Home Away from Home ~ Cajun's Corner

ImageSharon
Jul 17, 2014 10:37 AM CST
Name: Sharon
Kentucky
I guess the lives we build for ourselves must remain inside us, in our hearts, and we carry them with us wherever we find ourselves living. Otherwise parts of our heart would be scattered from here to there, broken pieces. I think the plants that I brought with me keep me connected in little ways, just as memories do.

It's really hard to build a life when you've left your heart behind. *Blush*
ImageCajuninKy
Jul 23, 2014 10:50 AM CST
Name: Cheryl
Eastern Ky
Truth should be everpresent.
I agree with that. Family helps to make a life. My husband is the only family I have here. I think of home more and more.
Please join me at my Websites:
At Home Away from Home ~ Cajun's Corner

ImageSharon
Jul 23, 2014 10:03 PM CST
Name: Sharon
Kentucky
At least I raised my children here and my daughter lives near so I see her often now, but they do consider it home. They love the mountains and love to visit there. Not like I love them, though.

Page 2 of 6 • 1 2 3 4 5 6

« Back to the top
« Cubits.org homepage
« All Across Kentucky cubit homepage
« Article: Aunt Bett, Granny Ninna and Pickin' Blackberries

You must first create a username and login before you can reply to this thread.

All Across Kentucky

For those who love Kentucky, live in Kentucky, grew up in Kentucky, or just enjoy visiting. Join us!

» Home
» Articles

Cubit owner: Sharon

» Contact Admin: Sharon

The sun shines bright in our old Kentucky homes! Show us your mountains, your lakes, your farms, your architecture. Tell us what you love about our state. There are threads within this forum for all of you. Come join with us as we celebrate Kentucky!