Dog Chat forum: Stuffed Toy Warning

Views: 30, Replies: 2 » Jump to the end
ImageWindigo
Mar 26, 2010 1:42 PM CST
Name: Deb
This was posted to a dog list I belong to. I have gotten stuffed toys from Goodwill stores in the past. I don't personally know of anyone involved with this, but thought that the warning was worth passing on.


'last night at agility class, a vet, who is a fellow agility student was telling us about a case she had this week. The dog ate a child's teddy bear and was very sick. When she opened the dog up to remove what she thought was an intestinal obstruction she found a huge gelatin type mess inside and the dogs intestines were black and the tissue dead. The dog will die no surgery can fix him up there was no living intestine left from stomach to colon.

This was not an obstruction. .... so she called the manufacturer of the Teddy Bear on a quest to find out what the gel was and what killed the dog. Turns out the stuffing in children's toys contains ingredients for flame retardants and mite control! It is designed to be come a gel. It is highly toxic. Now you would think a child's toy would be safe because it is for children, but they don't expect a child to eat the stuffing of the toys... huummmm that seems a bit scary too. But we all know dogs demolish stuffed toys.

So do not give or buy your dog any children's stuffed animals... some people get them at goodwill etc. The vet will be posting a warning and story and I will send any other facts as needed and as I learn more. Maybe some children's toys do not have this ingredient, but better to be safe then sorry. So meanwhile, make sure all your dog toys are for dogs. Please pass this on... it is a horrible death she described and one that can be avoided.'
ImagePoochella
Jun 9, 2010 11:50 AM CST
Name: Annie
Western WA Zone USDA 7b
Relax. It's only a small setback.
Thanks for posting this Deb. So sad for the dog and owners, but good information that may save another dog down the road. Sad
Imagetags1079
Oct 31, 2015 4:17 AM CST
Thanks for sharing nice information.

« Back to the top
« Cubits.org homepage
« Pets cubit homepage
« Dog Chat forum

You must first create a username and login before you can reply to this thread.

Pets

Join our friendly pet community as we discuss and share the everyday triumphs and sorrows of being owned by our pets. Cats, dogs, birds, fish, horses, reptiles, all welcome!

» Home
» Forums
» Articles
» Pages
» Database

Cubit owner: threegardeners

» Contact Admin: threegardeners

Help Build The Dogfood Database!

12% Discount for Cubit Members! Enter Coupon Code Cubits
Best Friends General Store


15% Discount for Cubit Members!! Enter Coupon Code Cubits