Favorite Recipes A-Z Recipe Box: Raspberry-Rhubarb Slab Pie
|Name of Recipe: Raspberry-Rhubarb Slab Pie|
Contributed By: Weedwhacker
Number of Servings: 24
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup butter
3/4 cup shortening
3/4 cup water (plus more as needed)
1 egg white, beaten
2 cups sugar (or slightly less)
1/3 cup cornstarch
3 cups fresh or frozen unsweetened raspberries
6 cups sliced fresh or frozen rhubarb
1 1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
5 teaspoons 2% milk (5 to 6)
|1. Combine flour and salt; cut in butter and shortening to consistency of coarse crumbs.|
2. Divide dough in two portions so that one is slightly larger than the other; wrap each in plastic wrap. Refrigerate 1 hour or until easy to handle.
3. Preheat oven to 375°. Roll out larger portion of dough between two large sheets of lightly floured waxed paper into an 18x13-in. rectangle. Transfer to an ungreased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Press onto the bottom and up sides of pan; trim pastry to edges of pan. Brush bottom and sides of crust with beaten egg white.
4. In a large bowl, combine sugar and cornstarch. Add raspberries and rhubarb; toss to coat. Spoon into pastry.
5. Roll out remaining dough; place over filling. Fold bottom pastry over edge of top pastry; seal with a fork. Prick top with a fork. Brush with beaten egg white. Sprinkle with coarse sugar, or use icing as below.
6. Bake 45-55 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely on a wire rack.
7. For icing, combine confectioners' sugar, vanilla and enough milk to achieve a drizzling consistency; drizzle over pie. Cut pie into squares. Yield: 2 dozen.
|Optional: Sprinkle top with coarse sugar instead of using the icing.|
(Image by Weedwhacker)
[ Comment ]