This is the second of three afghans I did in the late 70s. The pattern originated in Germany where I got it from a friend. The lower 16 squares are original and I developed 4 more. The original called for a cotton yarn, but I used worsted weight acrylic for washability. It's completely done in single crochet. The hardest thing was keeping the many colours of yarn from being hopelessly tangled.
These instructions are the ones I copied out by hand in 1977. I used a fountain pen in those days and a few of the pages have gotten wet along the way, but I think you can read most.
The large squares on the grids all have 5 small squares (representing stitches) in each direction.
Basic instructions. There is one square "D" which I notice calls for a bit of khaki green. The original 16 squares should be put together as laid out in the plan. A-D are my own design and I think I put them on the bottom in one of the other afghans; so you could put them there too.
This is the way they are arranged in the picture above.
On entering the plans into a spreadsheet, I see that a couple of them call for Black, Navy blue and khaki green - small quantites only. I also found one in which the colours were not consistent with the key.
Bottom line, you can switch colours around to suit yourself, but if in doubt, refer to the picture.
This one contains names - my two kids. You could easily fit most names up to 5 letters or initials and a date. This square was developed for Sara, but I later fit Karin's name into it width-wise. You should crochet it lower where the letters for Sara are. I would suggest using graph paper and planning what you want to include as you may have to experiment depending on the numbers and letters used.
I also felt the date should begin one row sooner.
I used a variety of colours for this. You can use whatever suits you.