Patterns forum: Santa Mitts
Views: 22, Replies: 3 » Jump to the end
|Knitted Santa Mitts
Size 4.5 mm (US 7) needles
worsted weight yarn
Row 1: knit
Row 2: knit 1, make a loop [insert needle into next st, wind yarn over needle point, then over 1 finger of left hand, then over needle point again; draw 2 loops thru the st and place them back on left needle; knit the 2 loops together thru the back], knit 1
Row 3: knit
Row 4: knit 2, make loop
FOR MITTEN: cast on 24
k1, p1 rib for 2 inches (I do 12 rows)
- next row knit, increasing 4 stitches evenly
- next row purl
- next row drop red, join white, knit 13 stitches and drop white. Place marker for thumb gusset. Join red, inc in next 2 stitches. Place marker. Knit across next row purl red stitches, work loop stitch with white
- next row work red st with red in st st and white sts with white in loop st, inc on knit side with red between markers. Continue until there are 12 st between markers, end white.
- next row purl over red st, Turn. Work over 12 thumb st. in st st for 8 rows. Ccut red yarn and gather thumb st and sew up thumb.
- slip white sts to right needle. Join skin color.
- next 6 rows, st st with skin color over white sts, red over red sts, end red and skin color yarns
- with white (right side) knit 1 row. Turn. Work moss st for 2 rows. End white and join red.
- purl 1 row, turn
- knit 1, knit 2 tog, knit 8, knit 2 tog twice, knit 8, knit 2 tog, knit 1. Turn.
- purl 1 row, turn
- knit 1 knit 2 tog, knit 6, knit 2 tog twice, knit 6, knit 2 tog, knit 1. Turn.
- purl 1 row, turn
- knit 1 knit 2 tog, knit 4, knit 2 tog twice, knit 4, knit 2 tog, knit 1. Turn
- purl 1 row. Cut yarn leaving tail long enough to sew seam. Gather thru 14 stitches on knitting needle, but do not sew yet.
- with pink yarn cast on 1 st. Inc into st twice making 4 sts. Turn. Knit 4, turn, knit 4, slip 2nd, 3rd, & 4th st over 1st stitch, pull yarn tail thru last st to fasten off. Cut yarn leaving tail to sew.
I pull beginning and end tail of nose thru middle st of last row of beard and tie in square knot trim ends. Sew eyes above nose (its easier if mitten is not sewn up) now go back and sew side seam.
Make pompom and sew to top of mitten.
Make second mitt, reversing the face and background.
My notes: I have posted the pattern as I got it from the Internet. The original link no longer works. I knitted the first group of these mittens as above making the yarn loops as in the picture.
In subsequent years, I have used one strand of white eyelash yarn and one strand of sport weight white yarn together for the beard. I also found that it was fuzzier on the PURL side of the stockinette stitch; so I reversed that section for the beard. The second picture will show the mitts with the eyelash yarn.
|This pair was made using a strand of eyelash yarn for the beard together with a strand of sport weight yarn.
Yarns I used (mostly available at Zellers, Michaels or Walmart):
red - Bernat Super Value colour 07513 worsted weight, 197g, 4 ply - no dye lot
skin-toned - Bernat Super Value colour 09418 worsted weight, 197g, 4 ply - no dye lot
white for beard - Bernat Satin Sport colour 03005 (could use any white sport-weight yarn), 85g
Eyelash yarn - Bernat Eye Lash, 50g
I had more than enough yarn to make 4 pairs with one ball of each above.
For the edge of the cap, you could use the same two yarns as for the beard or some 4-ply white yarn. I did the latter.
You can make pom poms using your fingers http://nabell1.tripod.com/nppp/howtomake.html
or buy ready-made ones. If you make them, leave yarn tails long enough to firmly attach them.
|Here are the newbies for 2010. Having trouble finding nice eyelash yarn this year - seems to be an endangered species. Used new yarn on one of the pairs and he looks like he's having a bad-beard day.
|« Back to the top
« Cubits.org homepage
« Yarn cubit homepage
« Patterns forum